About The Netherlands
HEALTH AND SAFETY
Of course we hope that your stay in the Netherlands will be without any problems regarding your health or safety. And most likely this will be the case. However, should you need any medical assistance or emergency services (ambulance, police or fire brigade), here is some useful information.
- Ambulance, police or fire brigade: call 112 (this is the general European emergency number).
- For police matters that are not an emergency: call 0900-8844.
- Utrecht University Security: call 030-253 4444 or call 4444 from a campus phone.
Health ServicesIf you need to find a Doctor, Dentist or Pharmacy in the area where you live, you can find one in the yellow pages: http://www.goudengids.nl. Below are some useful Dutch terms to help you in your search. If your course takes place in Utrecht, you can also go to Huisarts de Uithof, a health care center located close to de Uithof where you can find these services combined in one building.
Useful Dutch TermsHere are some Dutch terms that will help you find what you need:
- Doctor/ General Practioner = Dokter/ Huisarts
- Dentist = Tandarts
- Pharmacy = Apotheek
- Hospital = Ziekenhuis
- Emergency Room = Eerste Hulp
Outside Opening HoursIf you need medical assistance outside of your doctor's office hours, you can contact a Huisartsenpost. Please call: 0900-4501450.